Architectural Student - Term Contract
Blacktown is a vibrant city located in the very heart of Greater Sydney, half-way between Sydney City and the Blue Mountains. It is a city of ambition and excitement. With a total of 48 residential suburbs, and population of 395,000 coming from more than 180 different birthplaces, Blacktown City is one of the most diverse communities in Australia.
Working in Blacktown City provides a wealth of professional opportunities. Blacktown City Council is the largest Council in New South Wales, 4th largest in Australia and a leader in the development of the Western Sydney region. With almost unmatched growth expected over the next 25 years, we are on an exciting journey of transformation to prepare for a population of more than 550,000. There has never been a more exciting time to join one of Sydney’s most dynamic and high-performing Councils as we continue to deliver outstanding levels of service for our proud and diverse community and prepare our great city for the future.
About the opportunity
An opportunity exists for an Architectural Student to join the City Architects office within Blacktown City Council. The successful applicant will apply their Architectural and urban design skills to contribute to the transformation of the Blacktown area.
The duties associated with the position will be:
• Assist with the preparation of concept designs for city blocks, public buildings, public spaces and Council’s property holdings
• Collaborate with Council staff including Engineers, Property Managers, Architects, Landscape Architects and end users to evolve concepts
• Prepare presentation material to supplement reports and presentations to Council
• Provide advice to town planners on developments at pre-DA and DA stages of projects
• Provide general project assistance.
Qualifications and experience
- Currently undertaking a university degree in Architecture or Urban Design
- Demonstrated high level design and presentation skills in architecture, urban design and place making
- Computer-Aided Design (CAD) and presentation skills using software such as Sketchup, Revit, Rhino, Microstation, 3D StudioMax, Photoshop, InDesign and illustrator
- Strong analytical and communication skills
- Knowledge of applicable legislation and regulations
- Demonstrated commitment to customer service
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Experience working within an Architect’s office
- Urban design experience
- Public space design experience
- Experience in documentation and delivery of projects
- Current drivers licence
- WHS Construction White Card.
Remuneration and benefits
The salary and conditions of employment are in accordance with Blacktown City Council’s Enterprise Agreement.
- Trainee pay scale
- 35 hour working week
- Opportunity to participate in Council's flextime arrangement
- Employee benefits such as leave entitlements (where applicable), 9.5% employer superannuation contribution payable to the Local Government Superannuation Scheme, Fitness Passport and gym membership discounts, and social clubs.
Our commitment to safety
Blacktown City Council is committed to safety. We have introduced alcohol and other drug testing at the pre-employment phase, and via a series of random tests, tests where there may be reasonable suspicion and / or post reportable incident testing for Council workers.
Click here to view or download the position description.
Closing Date: 30 October 2020, 11.30 pm
Contact Officer: Matthew Sales on 9839 6909 or Matthew.Sales@blacktown.nsw.gov.au.
INTERNAL REF: Term contract - 12 months.